Receiving supplemental fluoride applications is one of the best ways to protect teeth from decay and strengthen tooth enamel. Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that can be found in certain foods and in water. Individuals who are at a high risk of experiencing tooth decay can greatly benefit from receiving topical fluoride treatments.
Fluoride offers two major benefits for teeth:
- Fluoride attaches to tooth enamel to enhance strength and resistance.
- Fluoride remineralizes tooth enamel, reversing the process of very early tooth decay.
Receiving a supplemental fluoride application is a quick and easy process that can be completed in just one visit. The treatment consists of applying fluoride directly to the teeth in the form of a gel, foam or varnish using special trays that are worn over the teeth. After the procedure is finished, the patient is instructed to avoid eating or drinking anything for at least an hour so that their teeth can fully absorb the fluoride.
People receive supplemental fluoride treatments for many reasons, including:
- Exposed or sensitive root surfaces
- Deep grooves and fissures present on the back teeth
- Inadequate oral hygiene
- Lack of exposure to fluoride
- Excessive sugar consumption
- Previous history of tooth decay
- Poor saliva flow
While supplemental fluoride applications can go a long way towards preventing the occurrence of cavities and decay, it is important to remember to maintain strong oral hygiene practices.
If you would like to learn more about fluoride applications and how they can help strengthen your teeth, please call us at (509) 292-3779 to schedule an appointment.